Saturday, May 16, 2009

Wounded by Eric Walters


One of my favourite things in life is to come home after work to a message on my answering machine from Titles Bookstore (http://titlesbookstore.com/). Last week, Ann called to say she had put away the newest Eric Walter's book because she thought I might just want it. She was right, Ann knows me so well, she often puts books in my file that she thinks I might like and I honestly don't think she has ever been wrong!


Eric Walter's newest book deals with an issue that I haven't really given much thought to- the reality of having a parent fighting in Afghanistan. Lately, the ramp ceremonies I see in the newspaper and on TV bring me to tears. Walter's new book does this as well.


At the start of this book, we meet Marcus and his family. Marcus is the head of the family at the moment because his father is fighting in Afghanistan. His father has one of the most dangerous jobs in the Canadian Army and he is often 'outside the wire', which makes communication back home impossible for weeks on end. Marcus, his mom and his sister are counting the days until he returns. But when that day finally comes, there are times when his dad is not the same person he was when he left. Although on the outside, he isn't injured, on the inside, he is a totally different man. Marcus needs to deal with what his dad's return means to the family and fight to get the help his dad most needs, even when the person he needs to fight is his dad. As with most of Walter's books, I am amazed at the depth of understanding he has for the characters he writes about. I believe this is a book everyone should read, it gives me a whole new perspective on not only the men and women fighting for Canada, but also the family they have left behind.

32 comments:

  1. another really well-written story by walters. the "inside" view it gives of the experience of having a member of the family on assignment in afghanistan was eye-opening. you can certainly connect on a very deep and personal level to the lot of those families waiting for news of their loved one as well as the terrible suffering those families endure when their loved one returns "wounded" psychologically or physically.
    steven

    ReplyDelete
  2. I felt like my own father had gone to war in Afghanistan! This is a great book!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This book chills down mine spine at times! THIS IS A REALLY GOOD BOOK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah! It's another brilliant piece of work by Eric Walters. This book is about love (Courtney and Marcus) and mostly deep sorrow and being psychologically wounded rather than being physically wounded

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very good book!!, I love it. there's no putting it down for me. i'm not a big reader but this book has made me read more and more. Keep these good books coming!!!

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this book i love the last couple of chapters !!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I loved this book a lot but the endin was a bit incomplete

    ReplyDelete
  8. this is on of the best books iv ever read

    ReplyDelete
  9. does anyone know the fathers name? i have to write a summary about this book for school and i no longer have the book to check

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a great book this was i love this book i am doing this for my booktalk no questions asked!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great Book i read it for a school project amazing!

    If you wanna see Canadian Forces Videos go to:

    www.youtube.com/user/loog123456

    ReplyDelete
  12. hi im joey this book was azmazazing eric walters is really cool

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hey everyone- I"m so glad you all like this one. Thanks for all the posts. It's neat that Eric Walter's books get the biggest response. He's one of my favourite authors too!

    Keep reading!

    Kerry

    ReplyDelete
  14. I really like it,but i hope there will br a cuntinuayion,i felt like there is a lot more he can right about

    ReplyDelete
  15. LOVED THIS BOOK!!! made me miss my dad since my parents are divorced but gave me thoughts on how war would feel!! loved it... all the way!! If you havent read it... DO IT NOW!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I LOVE ERIC WALTERS! i would reccomend this author to anyone! You should read we all fall down by him! it is about 9/11 and it is great!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. What happends at the end?

    ReplyDelete
  18. I LOVE THE BOOK "WOUNDED" it was amazing I love it. it was a great book that not lots of people would understand

    ReplyDelete
  19. I LOVE ERIC WALTERS AND HIS BOOKS. but Wounded was just something else, it was special..... IT WAS AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!!!!LOL

    ReplyDelete
  20. I'm glad you like his stuff. It's a Red Maple book this year. I liked it too.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I read this book in a middle school book club, and i would like to say that it is very in depth even if the main pull factor is his father coming home which happens in the early middle of the book. Still, I rate it a 9 out of 10!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Where dose this story take place ?????

    ReplyDelete
  23. kerry, i would just like to say that i think that you are great. i love your blog! im your biggest fan! xoxoxox
    love,
    your biggest fan ever!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Thanks anonymous...that is really nice. What do you like to read?

    ReplyDelete
  25. yes where does this take place? are there any pictures that you know of the setting? (project)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am guessing it take place at Canada but I am not sure where it is. (Doing assignment.) =)

      Delete
  26. what is his sisters name???

    ReplyDelete
  27. This book is soooo amazinn!!!♥♥

    ReplyDelete
  28. I'm pretty sure it took place in Trenton Ontario, but I'm not totally sure.
    Sorry!
    Kerry

    ReplyDelete
  29. what country is he fighting for

    ReplyDelete
  30. Does anybody know the name of Marcus' father?

    ReplyDelete