Saturday, July 11, 2009

Fever 1793 by Laurie Halse Anderson


I ordered a pile of Anderson's books the other day and now am on a bit of a marathon reading all of her stuff.


This book is great for American History. I love reading historical fiction and learning about real events told through a fictional story. Set in Philadelphia in the summer of 1793, this story tells about what happened when Yellow Fever hit the area. Maddie Cook is a typical 14 year old girl, she works only as hard as her mother makes her and loves to spend time with her grandfather. But, when people start getting sick, the town of Philadelphia starts to change. Families start moving out of the city and people who are staying are locking themselves up and just trying to survive. Maddie has to grow up quickly and hang on to what is important to her and her small family.


A good story, but not typical of Halse Anderson's cutting edge writing.

1 comment:

  1. I felt the same way...I prefer when Anderson writes about modern teens and their issues. This has been my LHA year...when I am in the states for the summer, the first book I'll read is Twisted.

    ReplyDelete