Sunday, September 6, 2009

Catching Fire by Suzanne Collins


After a long wait, the sequel to The Hunger Games is finally here. I was a bit leery of reading this one- the first one was so unique and I really liked the conclusion to the first Hunger Games and didn't think anything could live up to it. I was wrong- Catching Fire was incredible. I think I like it even better than Hunger Games. If you haven't read the Hunger Games- stop reading this and get yourself a copy of both books first!

In Catching Fire, Katniss and Peeta are back in District 12 after winning the Hunger Games. Katniss is very confused about her new life. She no longer needs to work or go to school, things in District 12 are the same, but it is her who is different. Then there are the feelings she has for both Peeta and Gale- she isn't sure what she feels for either one of them. When the President comes to her house with threats of death to her family and friends, Katniss finally realizes how her act of rebellion to win the Hunger Games has fueled the fire of rebellion across all the districts.

Katniss and Peeta are drawn into a political fight and once again are battling for their very survival. There is a surprise at every turn for the pair and they are faced to deal with their feelings for each other as well.

I will warn you that the ending of this book isn't as satisfying as the first one. I now know there will be a third book and the wait won't be much fun. I can't wait to find out how this all ends.

3 comments:

  1. hi kerry - i just ordered this. of course now i don't need to read the book cover!!!! i cannot wait. the hunger games was by far and away the most powerful book i read to my class last year. it represents such a massive change from young adult novels to this point in time. it'll be interesting to see where other authors go after this. steven

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved this book very suspenseful and exciting. When are we starting it as a read aloud. Right now I'm reading Catching Fire and loving it just as much if not more. Talk to you soon

    ReplyDelete
  3. Daniel- we are going to start reading this one as soon as we finish the Cheat- hopefully by next Monday! I love Catching Fire even more than Hunger Games too!

    ReplyDelete