Friday, October 16, 2009

Thaw by Monica M. Roe


First off- a warning- this book is for mature readers. I'm not sure I will give it to any grade 7 or 8 kids- there is some swearing and some sexual references in it too.

Having said that- I loved this book. It is the story of Dane- a 17 year old. He is very intelligent and a gifted adult. The only thing he isn't good at is sharing, expressing or showing any emotion. He is a very egocentric young man.

We meet Dane in a rehabilitation center where he is undergoing treatment for Guillain-Barre Syndrome. A disease that left him paralyzed and fighting to get back what he once had. The story alternates between his present life in the rehab center to the previous winter. His life back home, looked good on the outside, but his emotionless state has left him confused now that he has lost everything he thought was important.

I loved the character of Dane. His character is a strong male who is afraid to share what is in his heart. I also loved how he wasn't ever afraid to share what was in his mind as well. I think this book would really grab high school boys and the discussion that could come out of it would be amazing. I just wish there wasn't quite so much swearing!

No comments:

Post a Comment