Sunday, December 20, 2009

Reality Check by Peter Abrahams

This is the first book I have read by Abrahams, but it won't be the last. This was a great mystery. Cody feels like he has the greatest life ever. He is passing (just!) school without any effort, he is the Quarterback of the high school football team and is dating the most beautiful girl at school. Life is going well. Until, Clea's father decides he is a bad influence on her and he sends her to Hong Kong to keep them apart. Cody and Clea survive the summer apart by texting and emailing each other. They are sure everything will be fine when she comes back for senior year.
But Clea's father has other plans. He has enrolled Clea in a private school in Vermont- 2 days away from Cody. When Cody realizes that Clea is heading in a whole different direction he questions their relationship and tries to learn to live without her.
Then, Cody sees an article in the paper that reads "local girl missing" and realizes that Clea is in danger. Cody leaves everything behind to search for Clea. When in Vermont, he questions everyone and has a hard time trusting anyone. The only thing he knows for sure is that if he doesn't find Clea, nobody will.
I really enjoyed reading this one. There is a bit of swearing, but other than that, it is appropriate for young adults to read. I think the boys will really relate to Cody- he's a well developed character.
I wasn't totally sure where I got this book from, it just appeared on my bookshelf. It
wasn't until I was telling my nephew Bryor about it that he reminded me that he lent it to me.
I love it when that happens!

1 comment:

  1. this looks like a really good storyline. i like the feeling of something kids can connect to. steven

    ReplyDelete