Monday, September 20, 2010

Beverly Hills Maasai by Eric Walters


This is the sequel to Alexandria of Africa and takes place 8 months after Alexandria had a life changing trip to Kenya.

Alexandria has now been home for 8 months, she is trying to find peace with how she should live her life after seeing how people live in Kenya. There are times when it is very difficult to take what is expected of her in California and compare it to life in Africa.

One day, she gets a strange phone call from her Kenyan friend Nebala who is in California with some other friends. Things have not gone very well in Kenya since Alexandria left, there has been no rain and people and cattle are starving. The only solution for the three Maasai warriors is to compete and win at the Beverly Hills marathon. This win will mean they can build a well in their village, which will save lives and improving living conditions.

Alexandria, her friend Olivia and her family face some challenges in not only getting the Maasai into the marathon, but also the adjustment they face living in such a different culture.

I liked this book as well as the first one. It is always interesting to see how characters change from earlier books. Watching Alexandria try to teach her African friends what life is like in California was funny, and yet Walters uses these moments to point out what is really important in life.

11 comments:

  1. i really liked alexandria and will definitely be looking this one up. steven

    ReplyDelete
  2. best book ever total awsomeness

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really enjoyed the book Beverly Hills Maasai. I thought it was really funny and certainly very original. I enjoyed it so much that I just couldn't put the book down! I would rate it a 4/5 because i thought it kind of dragged on little. Other than that, it was great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. AMAZING BOOK!! LOVE ERIC WALTERS!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Eric Walters Is Truullyy Amazing .. Coming from a Graannnyy

    ReplyDelete
  6. A great sequel
    To a fantastic book

    ReplyDelete
  7. how many chapters are there

    ReplyDelete
  8. could somebody tell me the full summary? i read the first book... (EPICLY AWESOME) but i would love to know the second book (how it goes)
    thank u Eric Walters!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. could somebody tell me the full summary? i read the first book... (EPICLY AWESOME) but i would love to know the second book (how it goes)
      thank u Eric Walters!

      Delete
  9. I don't understand how anyone liked this book, yes there were neat creative things but you had to file them out of a lot of garbage. The repetition made the book some of the worst writing I've ever read, although keep in mind I'm not a huge fan of books generally because I'm very picky. I really wanted to like this book, I liked the first one and asked some of my friends who I'd heard read the book, they both said they didn't get past the first chapter. The pacing was bad, really bad transitions , and it was all way to unrealistic. My overall opinion was disappointment in how much better it could have been, but I hold strong in saying the first book was a good book.

    ReplyDelete
  10. JoJo- thanks for sharing your thoughts. You gave so many reasons why you didn't enjoy this book. It is important for us to remember that it is ok to not like a book- as long as we can back it up which is exactly what you did.
    Kerry

    ReplyDelete