Saturday, April 16, 2011

Where She Went by Gayle Forman


I have to say first off that there is no way I can do justice to this book. I was absolutely crazy about it and I don't have the words to describe how much this book moved me.

Where She Went is the sequel to If I Stay. If you haven't read it yet, you need to do that first, please don't read on- you will ruin two wonderful books for yourself!

In If I Stay, Mia has to decide if she will choose to live or die when her family is in a car accident. As she is fighting to make this decision, her boyfriend Adam is by her side. The relationship between Mia and Adam was unlike most teen romances- this one felt so real and believable.

Where She Went is the story of what happened following Mia's decision to live on after her family was killed. However this story is told from Adam's perspective. He went through so much when Mia was in the car accident, he lost not only her family but also Mia and the special relationship between the two of them. He is confused, depressed and even though his music career has taken off, he is totally lost. When Mia and Adam meet up one night in New York, they spend the night wandering the city and learning about each other all over again. It isn't easy, there is a lot in their past that makes reconnecting so difficult.

Forman's writing is so touching and beautiful. I was moved to tears many times while I was reading it. The hurt and betrayal that Adam feels was so raw and real. Even though he was living the rock star life, you knew he hadn't really changed who he was. His struggle to come to terms with his guilt and anger and hurt was so hard to read at times. However, I loved ever minute of it and my plan is to go back and reread it before the weekend is over. I don't think there is any other book that has ever made me want to do that.

No comments:

Post a Comment