Saturday, May 7, 2011

What Happened to Goodbye by Sarah Dessen


Sarah Dessen has long been a favourite author of mine. She writes such interesting stories about young girls who are discovering who they are and their place in the world. There is romance, but not enough to turn someone off. Her books are mostly about growing up and she always deals with very real situations.
What Happened to Goodbye is exactly that. Mclean has been on the move with her dad every since her parents split up. In each town, Mclean picks a new personality and a new name. She fits in well with whatever group she decides to belong to. When her and her dad move to Lakeview, Mclean suddenly finds herself using her real name and remembering who she really is- even though that wasn't her plan. Coming back to her true self is painful, because she is forced to remember what her life was like before her parents divorce.
What I really liked about this story is how Mclean deals with her anger towards her parents divorce. I think many young girls will see themselves in Mclean and connect with her anger towards her mother. Even though she is angry at her mom, it is obvious that she misses her and their relationship. Even kids whose parents aren't divorced can relate to that. I also really like how Sarah Dessen's characters are so real. They aren't perfect. They are sarcastic, loud, rebellious- typical teenagers. I think the fact that Sarah Dessen can create such real characters is what is so appealing about her books. I know there will be lots of girls waiting to read this one on Monday.

4 comments:

  1. You might be interested in a blog that is hosting Sarah Dessen week starting tomorrow http://www.thereadinghousewives.com/

    I am just getting ready to start reading Someone Like You. I have only read a couple Dessen books, but I would like to read them all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I forgot to say I love the cover for this book - I always seem to enjoy the covers for her books.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the link. I'm not sure I can commit to much these days, but it is cool to see what is out there. I think of Dessen as the Jody Picout for kids. I like her stuff!

    ReplyDelete