Tuesday, August 2, 2011

All things Harry Potter!



First off, I have to apologize for not posting too much this summer. I've been reading, just not young adult books. I've been caught up in a flurry of beach reading murder mysteries this summer.

Secondly, this is not a usual post- today I'm posting about something I baked today! For those of you that know me, you know I'm not really to great in the kitchen. I make a mean bowl of Kraft Dinner and chocolate chip cookies, but I don't get too adventurous. The other thing people know about me is that I am a HUGE Harry Potter fan- I mean I love the movies and books. They are the only movies I have loved as much as the books. In March, I was lucky enough to take 5 kids, my mom and myself to Universal Studios to visit the Harry Potter theme park. Needless to say, we loved it. We had to try butterbeer- and it was everything they describe in the book. I tried to replicate it at home a few weeks later, but my boys told me it didn't come close (I didn't think it was that bad!)

A few weeks ago when Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows came out, there were lots of blog posts with places to check out (have you seen pottermore.com? ) This blog post came to my attention and I knew I HAD to make them. It took a bit of searching to find some of the ingredients. I had a hard time finding Butter Flavouring (which is like vanilla, only butter flavouring) and Vanilla Cream Soda. I ended up buying the Cream Soda in the U.S.A. when I went to visit my brother. As it turns out a nice bulk store here carried both the Cream Soda (I now have 2 more 2 litre bottles of it when I only needed 1/3 of a cup) and the Butter Flavouring.

Finally, I had a day that wasn't too hot outside and I actually had all the ingredients in the house. I can't believe how easy they were to make. I doubled the recipe because I've been talking about these for the last two weeks and figured my friends and family needed to try some as well. This was the first time I've really made buttercream frosting- and it all worked out brilliantly!

These cupcakes are to die for! They taste just like the butterbeer we had at Universal and everyone who has tried them has LOVED them. If you've always wanted to taste butterbeer, or are having a Harry Potter party- you must make these. I'm so glad I found the amybites blog!

No comments:

Post a Comment