Monday, May 12, 2014

This is How I Find Her by Sara Polsky

I loved this book! It deals with some pretty heavy issues, but it handles it in such an honest, compelling way. The story starts with Sophie coming home from school and finding her mother lying on her bed with a bottle of pills beside her. The story then continues with the reader learning what life has been like for Sophie who has had the responsibility of taking care of her mother who struggles with mental health- being biopolar and depression. Sophie has isolated herself from her friends and has shouldered taking care of her mother- which isn't easy or fair. After her mother's overdose, Sophie has a glimpse of what life might be like without her mother. The range of emotions she goes through is incredible. She struggles to fit in and still try to understand how she can help her mother without losing herself. I found this book to be so moving. Sophie's maturity coupled with her insecurities makes her an incredible character to get to know. All I could think of as I was reading this book was how as teachers we don't always know what goes on in the homes of our students. It also reminded me to look beyond the hurtful words and lashing out to truly see what is behind a person's motives. This book is appropriate for kids grade 7 and up. I wouldn't hesitate to have it in my classroom, but it would also fit in a high school library as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment