Friday, October 24, 2014

The Rule of Three by Eric Walters

I have two favourites when it comes to reading- I love reading any new dystopian or alternative reality books and I love reading anything by Eric Walters. When I saw this new book by Walters I was very surprised- my favourite author and my favourite genre! The Rule of Three isn't a typical Walters book, he tends to write more realistic fiction but boy did he hit it out of the park with this one. The Rule of Three is the story of a world where one afternoon, everything that runs on computers stops working. That includes electricity, cars and of course computers. Luckily for Adam, he drives an older model car so he is actually able to get home from school. What he thinks is going to be a short term inconvenience, turns out to be a global disaster. As days without computers turns to weeks, Adam, his family and his community must find a way to survive. Along the way, Adam has help from his mysterious next door neighbour who seems to have experienced all of this before. Adam, his neighbour Herb and his mother who is a police officer are suddenly thrown into positions of having to make decisions, not just for their own survival but for their whole community. This novel is fast paced and exciting. It had me question the amount of food I have in my house, to how I could survive something like this. I loved Adam- he had to adapt and change to a very strange situation and he did it so well. As with all Walters books, the characters are believable and likeable. It also reminds me a bit of Suzanne Weyn's novel Empty. I can't wait to share this book with students on Monday. If I can get them out of the Seven Series, they will love this one as well! I am hoping there will be a sequel to this, I feel like Adam's story is not quite over yet!

2 comments:

  1. You did say "feel free to share your ideas", so here goes nothing...
    I think that The Rule of Three had a lot of good points, but there were even more points I didn't agree with. The plot and characters were done really well, but the rest wasn't so good. The foundation was good, but when he could have made a mansion, he made a lean-to. The characters were rich, and the theme was well thought out, but the rest was forgettable.
    And for a dystopian novel, it was pretty soft. No one the main character cared about got hurt. Not even Adam's cheeky blonde girlfriend- who no one seems to mention is cheating on somebody else!!- gets a scrape.
    So there's my review of The Rule of Three. Read it for yourself, and if somebody agrees with me, please say I'm not going crazy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing your thoughts. You are incredibly articulate and thoughtful when you are reviewing books. I think you should start your own book review blog. Let me know if you want some help setting it up!

    ReplyDelete